We're happy to invite you to our Conference Dinner at Stuba Communis on Thursday, 14th May 2015, 8:00 PM.
The Conference Dinner is combined with a guided tour of the Jagiellonian University Museum Collegium Maius.
Admission only for people who have paid the full fee. It is not possible to buy a ticket on-site.
The conference dinner will be held in the Stuba Communis dining room (Jagiellonian University Collegium Maius, ul. Jagiellońska 15, 31-010 Kraków), which is still used for ceremonial meetings. Dining room in Krakow University's Great College built in 1430, it still has 3 tables in a horseshoe shape; and they use the ornate Aula, or Jagellonian Hall, for university award ceremonies—it’s the oldest and one of the most beautiful lecture rooms of the University.
Stuba Communis is the old dining room, where the inhabitants of Collegium Maius met to have common meals (twice a day), but also to hold meetings. Until the 18th century, in accordance with the medieval European tradition, the scholars worked, lived and dined in university buildings called colleges. The same name “college” also refers to scholar community. The room was built in 1430 and today, like in the Medieval period, there are three tables here forming a horseshoe shape. Following monastic customs, during the common meals the youngest of all scholars was standing in the oriel niche, reading the Holy Bible or fragments of scholarly works. The gothic oriel, a detail so characteristic for the facade of Collegium Maius at the Jagiellońska St., dates back to ca 1430 and was modeled after a similar oriel in Collegium Carolinum in Prague. Inside stands a sculpture of King Kasimir the Great, the founder of Cracow Academy. The polychrome sculpture was made of limewood ca 1380 to decorate the facade of a collegiate church in Wiślica. The main decoration in the Common Room is the staircase; a Baroque work made of oakwood in Gdańsk in the beginning of the 18th century. It comes from the rural estate of the Potocki family in Krzeszowice. Also the wardrobe was made in Gdańsk in the 18th century, holding silverware inside, which once had belonged to the Pusłowski family and according to the last will of its last member, Franciszek Ksawery, bequeathed with all his possessions to the Jagellonian University. In the corner stands a late Baroque stove from 1647, reminding of a minaret in its shape. It comes from the estate of the family Dunin in Głębowice. On opposite side stands a cabinet clock featuring barrel-and-pin mechanism made by Francais Bellair in Gdański in years 1763-1780. The chiming clock plays the Polish national anthem and the Cracow’s bugle call. The Common Room - Stuba Communis up to this day, the dining room is used during ceremonial meetings. It is here where the Jagellonian University authorities sign various agreements with other institutions. During such events, according to a centuries-old tradition, coffee, tea and wine is served.